The Gigabyte AERO 15 OLED is a lightweight laptop aimed at content creators. It features a 4K AMOLED display, fast SSDs, 9th Generation Intel CPUs and NVIDIA RTX graphics cards. Let’s see how it performs in the real world for video editing, VFX & 3D!
- 02:01 NVIDIA RTX Studio
- 03:25 Raytracing & Tensor Cores
- 05:19 Technical Specifications
- 08:01 Real World Performance
- 08:28 4K OLED Display
- 09:08 Form Factor & Weight
- 09:34 Performance (Video Editing/VFX/3D)
- 10:02 Working with 4K
- 11:15 RTX in the Real World (Blender)
- 13:01 Noise
- 13:58 Keyboard & Touchpad
- 14:35 Inputs & Outputs
- 15:06 Webcam
- 15:23 Speakers
- 15:45 Battery Life
- 16:37 Price & Configuration
- 17:14 Verdict & Final Thoughts
- The i9-9980HK is an 8 Core Processor
- The screen is rated at 400nits. Some online tests place it at 283nits though :)
AERO 15 OLED Technical Specifications
- 4.4lbs (2kg) weight
- 15.6” Thin Bezel 4K AMOLED Display
- 9th Generation Intel CPU (i7-9750H – i9-9980HK)
- 2 SODIMM slots for up to 64GB DDR4RAM at 2666Mhz
- Support for 2 NVMe SSD drives
- 3 USB 3.0, 1 Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C), UHS-II SD Card Reader
- HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.4, Microphone/Headphone Combo Jack, Ethernet
- 94Wh Battery
NVIDIA RTX Studio
The NVIDIA RTX Studio initiative is focused on providing laptops that are aimed at creators rather than gamers. They usually come with 60Hz 4K screens. They come with more RAM, stronger CPUs and larger SSDs. And they come with the new NVIDIA RTX graphics cards.
What’s so special about RTX cards? Besides CUDA cores, which are great for general GPU acceleration, they also contain Raytracing Cores and Tensor Cores.
Raytracing Cores can be utilised in 3D applications and rendering to offload path tracing processing onto your graphics card.
Tensor Cores are great for executing Machine Learning models. As such they can be leverage for AI based tasks such as smart sharpening and other image processing.
RTX technology is still in it’s early stages, but it is increasingly being integrated into professional software such as 3dsMax, Maya, Blender, Da Vinci Resolve, Lightroom and many other creative tools.
NVIDIA is working together with a lot of companies to create ‘RTX Studio’ laptops. These laptops are certified by NVIDIA to meet a set of minimum requirements to be considered a part of the RTX Studio laptop series.
You can visit the official NVIDIA website to learn more about NVIDIA RTX Studio.
Recommendation for Gamers
If you’re after a gaming laptop and are considering the AERO 15 I recommend going with a 1080p IPS panel instead that runs at 144Hz or even at 240Hz. You will enjoy your gaming experience a whole lot more :)
If this laptop looks like something you are considering, be sure to check out the GIGABYTE AERO 15 OLED SALE