Unwanted object removal

Home Forums (Not Published) After Effects Unwanted object removal

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Filmmaker

Greetings,

How could an unwanted object be removed from a shot using after effects? There is a light stand reflection on the glass that falls on the white shirt of a character. The character moves in and out of the shot and the light stand reflection interferes with his shirt. I have tried masking, paintbrush, and content-aware. Nothing has worked. I appreciate your advice.

Surfaced Studio
      Keymaster

Greetings!

Are you able to share a screenshot or a video clip of what you are working with? It sounds like you have a glass *through* which a character can be seen who is moving in and out of the shot and on that glass you have the reflection of a light stand? That could be very tricky to remove as you can’t just replace it with a static image or a snippet from the video, but it depends a bit on what your footage looks like and what you can live with.

Cheers,

Tobias

Filmmaker

Yes, there is the reflection of the light stand and character in the mirror. Attached is a video clip that contains the issues. Is it possible to mask the reflection of the light stand and change its color to the color of the curtain and the character’s shirt?

Surfaced Studio
      Keymaster

Hi, would you be able to share a video clip of the issue? I can’t see any link :)

Filmmaker

I attached the clip to my message, but I guess it was not sent. Here is the link.

https://vimeo.com/396567710

Filmmaker
      Surfaced Studio
      Keymaster

Hi, thank you for sharing the clip!
      Removing the light stand itself shouldn’t be too hard, you could track an image into its place and blend that ‘over’ the light stand. However, adding the reflection of the person back in might require a bit more work depending on how much movement there is as you’ll have to essentially ‘paint him back in’ to mach his movement, potentially frame by frame.

There wouldn’t be an easy way to do that if the character moves across the light stand reflection a lot. You may want to consider just removing the reflection altogether (or blurring it out) since it doesn’t seem to be the focus on the shot anyway :)

Hope that helps!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.